There is an old quote out there, "lay plans for something big, by starting small". Landmarks has done that in 2023. It has been a building year, taking the vision we established in 2022, the plans we laid out for the future, and putting rubber to the road. We've seen growth with our field trips and tours. We have intentionally focused on the large list of maintenance projects in Old Alabama Town and we have continued with updating the interpretation of the site. Our historic preservation goals are still ahead of us as we build our reputation as consultants, helping Atmore and Prattville. We will provide valuable education opportunities in our own community, including the Montgomery Preservation Leadership Seminar. We are also excited to announce we have been selected to apply for a major grant from the 1772 Foundation and the National Preservation Partners Network to help us conduct a feasibility study for our historic properties redevelopment program.
All in all, 2023 has been successful and that is because you believe in us. You believe in our vision and our mission to preserve our history and grow our community. Thank you! 2024 will be a year of action for us. It will be a year where we will see results of our efforts from the last few years and this is a chance for you to continue your support for the Landmarks Foundation.
Below are some of our wins from 2023, the building blocks for this coming year.
- Over $100k in deferred maintenance handled in OAT
- The 1st Montgomery Oyster Festival was a massive success
- OAT has seen 20,000 visitors, representing $135,000 in earned income.
- Started the Edith Crook Montgomery History Fellowship
- 1st fellow is organizing the Mary Ann Neeley Collection & expanding our interpretation of African American History at OAT
- OAT was featured in Sleeping with the Ancestors by Joseph McGill and Herb Walker. The book is an account of the Slave Dwelling Project and how our society should remember the past.
These results are about consistency and intentional action. We do a lot of things well and we can do a lot of things better. However, with a planned and focused approach, we will see the fruits of our investments.
The Plan for 2024:
- Roll out new branding and image
- Build out the interpretation of our African American resources
- Conduct the feasibility study for our Historic Property Redevelopment Program
- Engage school children from every county in Alabama.
Thank you for continuing your support in the rebirth and growth of this amazing organization.
Please, take this time and invest in our bright future.